Wednesday 1 October 2014

Baking - Giant Gold Bar

Giant Gold Bar

So this year chocolate challenge was to make a giant Gold bar.  Not too difficult in terms of ingredients but challenging due to it's shape and lettering etc on the top, and of course it's hideous colour!

I started by taking some measurements of a normal Gold bar and then decided what size to make mine.  I then started making the mould and lining it with baking paper.


Mould complete it was time to start tackling the bar.  I reduced 5 packets of biscuits to crumbs and added some condensed milk to hold it all together.  This was going to be the biscuit layer.  




While that dried out a bit I started unwrapping a lot of chocolate.  I mixed white chocolate with caramac!




Once melted I poured it into my mould and lined the edges and left it to dry.



Once dry I added the biscuit layer and pushed it down to make it more compact.



Once dry I started again on the chocolate!  Much melting later I filled the rest of the mould with the mixture and once more left it to set.



The next task was to prize it out of the mould and then start shaping it to look more like an ordinary Gold bar.



The carving begins!





The writing is taking shape...



Carving done, now time to smooth it out...





Finished Gold Bar



Time to compare my finished bar with a normal sized bar!!




Friday 3rd October - Tonight we cut into the giant gold bar and tried it. It went down well, I don't think we will have trouble getting through it!






No comments:

Post a Comment